CLARK FREEPORT – Rehabilitation of the breached portions of the San Fernando-Sto.Tomas-Minalin Taildike has already been completed.
This was the good news delivered by Engineer Luisito “Chito” Sibug, chief of Construction Division of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) in Region III, in a meeting.
Friday of the provincial disaster risk management council (PDRRMC) led by Gov. Lilia Pineda, municipal engineers and disaster management officers.
It can be recalled that the protected dike was destroyed during the onslaught of southwest monsoon (Habagat) last year. The infringement of the tail dike inundated almost all barangays of this city and two nearby municipalities.
Sibug claimed that at least 102 meters of the breached section of the dike in San Fernando and 96 meters in Sto.Tomas were completed April this year.
He even vouched for the integrity of the construction, which amounted to P27.8 million.
“The taildike was designed to protect the towns from flood waters coming from the upstream. The towns affected by habagat can rest assured of the veracity of the dike to prevent another floodings,” Sibug said.
The engineer also reported the development of the pilot channel with slope protection of Gugu Creek in Sapang Pari to Labuan which is also connected to the said tail dike.
He added that it is 1.2 kilometers long with a budget of P34 million to include the widening and desilting of the area.
“The construction includes the restoration and strengthening of the dike in Sapang Pari to Labuan part and the rechanneling of water channel. This will prevent the water current from targeting the newly constructed CSF-Sto.Tomas-Minalin Taildike,” he furthered.
Pineda commended the accomplishment of the agency but reminded the DPWH engineers of the other flood mitigation projects that need to be constructed and rehabilitated.
“Fortunately, one of the problems was solved. However, there are still flood control infrastructures that must be attended to. The provincial government will give any form of support to fast track the mitigation projects,” the governor told the DPWH engineers. ● JENNA LUMBANG
Other Related Articles
|Gugu water flows back towards Pasig Potrero
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO – The diversion channel from Gugu River going to Pasig Potrero River finally opened...
|DPWH boss vows fast repair of breached dike
By Marna DaguMBoy-Del rosario CITY OF SAN FERNANDO —A top official of the Department of Public...
|Rehab works for breached dike begin
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO-- The rehabilitation of the breached portions of the San Fernando-Sto. Tomas-Minalin...
|P837-M allotted for flood control in SF City, 3 towns
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO--Some P837 million have been set aside for flood control measures along the Gugu...